Sustainable San Mateo County is primarily a volunteer-run organization with a part-time Executive Director, Administrator, and Program Manager leading a team of more than 50 volunteers. We are always on the look out for talented and motivated volunteers who want to help maintain and improve our quality of life in San Mateo County.
Great for experienced professionals that want to give back.
- Oversee and manage the Indicators Report program. Discuss sustainability issues impacting the region and support research for the Indicators for a Sustainable San Mateo County Report, one of our core programs. Our focus for 2019 is “Climate Change – How do we respond?”
- Meets monthly for 1.5 hours on the 1st FRI of the month, 12:00- 1:30PM, in San Mateo (at our SSMC offices)
- Contribute expertise in sustainability to our newest initiative, Pathways to Sustainable Communities. Oversee and manage report development, recommend resources for further research, and review and provide input on report content.
- Meeting schedule depends on the availability of committee members, typically a weekday between 10am and 5pm.
- Have a great time planning the county’s biggest sustainability party: our annual Awards Event! This committee plans all aspects of our Awards program, from nominations and judging, to soliciting auction donations, to event planning and coordination of SSMC’s annual Spring Gala and Fundraiser.
- Meets 1-2 times per month from August – April. Meeting times & dates TBD.
Policy Committee – Open to members only.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on endorsements and advocacy positions; also addresses board and organizational policies.
- Meeting schedule: TBD
SSMC is co-hosting regular, monthly TAG (Thrive Action Group) meetings, together with Thrive. This is an outwards-facing Policy & Advocacy group, open to all. Organizations and individuals can weigh in on pertinent and relevant sustainability policy matters. Please join us!
More information can be found at: https://www.thrivealliance.org/thrive-policy-advocacy-initiative/
- Addresses communications strategy and long-term outreach projects.
- Meeting time at mutually convenient time.
Fund Development Committee
- Helps to develop prospects and strategies to effectively – and sustainably! – fund SSMC’s mission and program.
- Meets monthly, 2nd THU of the month, 7-8PM, in Redwood City
NEW! Events Committee
- Plans, organizes and conducts SSMC events throughout the year that are aligned with our organization’s mission and the current key indicator.
- Meeting schedule: TBD
Great for people that want to work independently, virtually and/or on their own time.
Pathways Research Volunteer
- Conduct research and interviews to help share success stories and build the path to sustainable communities!
- View the full job description and qualifications: Pathways Research Volunteer
Indicators Research Volunteer
- A great opportunity to showcase your research and writing skills!
- Conduct and present research on one of the more than 40 indicators for our report
- View the full job description and qualifications: Indicators Research Volunteer
Data Visualization Volunteer
- Use Tableau Public to generate charts, graphs, and tables on sustainability indicators
- View the full job description and qualifications: Data Visualization Volunteer
Graphic Designer Volunteer
- Showcase your design skills while promoting local sustainability through infographics, event flyers, and other mediums
- View the full job description and qualifications: Graphic Design Volunteer
- Write “Solutions” articles to inform the community about sustainability! See existing content here and submit your ideas along with writing samples to contact below.
- Promote SSMC’s mission by managing our social media accounts, crafting email newsletters, and keeping our Sustainable Events Calendar full
- View the full job description and qualifications: Communications Volunteer
There are many ways to get involved with SSMC as a volunteer. If you have other ideas or expertise you would like to apply to our mission, we are eager to hear them.
If you would like to find our more about volunteer opportunities contact us:
[advocate (at) sustainablesanmateo (dot) org]