SSMC has presented more than 150 awards to local sustainability champions since 1999. Our Awards Program is an inspiring celebration and “must attend” event that pays tribute to those working to make our region truly sustainable. We recognize leaders in the following categories:
- Ruth Peterson Award: This is Sustainable San Mateo County’s highest honor. It is awarded at the discretion of the Board to an individual who has contributed significantly to SSMC’s mission.
- Sustainability Awards: The work of Sustainability Award winners must have an impact in San Mateo County on the three E’s of sustainability: Environmental impacts, social Equity and Economic vitality. Nonprofits, government agencies, businesses, educational institutions and individuals are eligible.
- Green Building Award: This award is given to a project in San Mateo County that promotes green, sustainable design and construction. It recognizes the architect, builder and owner of the building. SSMC has partnered with the American Institute of Architects, San Mateo County Chapter (AIASMC), to present this award every year since 2003.
In 2020, SSMC also presented Reach Code Awards recognizing San Mateo County municipalities that have enacted progressive green building policies.
Our 2020 Sustainability Awards recipients were:
- County Supervisor Dave Pine – See video
- County’s Office of Education’s Environmental Literacy and Sustainability Initiative– See video
- Campaign for Fossil Free Buildings in Silicon Valley – See video
The 2020 Green Building Award was presented to Genentech for its innovative Child Care Center in South San Francisco. It was designed by Perkins & Will of San Francisco and built by Rudolph & Sletten of San Carlos.
A Green Building Honorable Mention was issued to the North Block Hillsdale Shopping Center in San Mateo. Owned by Bohannon Development Co., it was designed by ELS Architecture and Urban Design of Berkeley and constructed by C.W. Driver of Pasadena.
The Ruth Peterson Award was presented to Afsoon Shahrdar for her many contributions to SSMC.
Reach Code Awards were issued to five jurisdictions. See video
- Innovation Category: Brisbane
- Regional Impact Category: Menlo Park
- Fast Track Category: Pacifica
- Trailblazer Category: San Mateo
- Leadership Category: County of San Mateo
Sponsor Sustainable San Mateo County’s 22nd Annual Awards Program in 2021
Each year SSMC honors sustainability leaders who have made significant progress in protecting our people and planet through their work with local organizations, businesses and government. Historically, more than 300 attendees have joined our Awards Celebration to recognize our award winners.
Sponsorship opportunities range from a $500 Friend to $10,000 Benefactor levels and come with various benefits, including year-round promotion on our website.
Interested in learning more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sponsorship” in the subject line, and we’ll send you more information.
Special thanks to our 2020 Sustainability Awards sponsors!
Colson, Donna & Eric
Community Bank of the Bay
David Crabbe – Architect
DES Architects + Engineers
Plumbers & Steamfitters Local No. 467
Recology San Mateo County
Rethink Waste – SBWMA
San Mateo Office of Education
Whitehair, Robert & Teri
Bay Area Energy Solutions
Bhatnagar, Beth & Raj
Citizens Environmental Council of Burlingame
Edward Jones/David Amann
IBEW Local No. 617
LaBerge, Georgi & Warren Dale
McGlashan, Ricki & Doug
McHugh, Barbara & Mark Olbert
Nagel, Terry & Jim
Port of Redwood City
Putnam Mazda and Putnam Subaru
San Mateo Credit Union
Sims Metal Management
SummerHill Housing Group