THANK YOU, 2020 SPONSORS!
BENEFACTOR: Facebook; Lyngso Garden Materials, Inc.; Perkins and Will; Sand Hill Foundation; San Mateo County Transit District
COMMUNITY: Bohannon Development Company; Greystar; Peninsula Clean Energy; South San Francisco Scavenger; Westerm Allied Mechanical
NEIGHBORHOOD: Colson, Donna & Eric; Community Bank of the Bay; David Crabbe – Architect; DES Architects + Engineers; Etherton, Adrienne; Hill, Jerry; Kaiser Permanente; Plumbers & Steamfitters Local No. 467; Recology San Mateo County; Rethink Waste – SBWMA; Riekes Center; San Mateo County Office of Education; Shahrdar, Afsoon; Whitehair, Robert & Teri
FRIEND: Bay Area Energy Solutions; Bhatnagar, Beth & Raj; Citizens Environmental Council of Burlingame; Edward Jones/David Amann; EHDD Architects; IBEW Local No. 617; LaBerge, Georgi & Warren Dale; McGlashan, Ricki & Doug; McHugh, Barbara & Mark Olbert; Nagel, Terry & Jim; Port of Redwood City; Putnam Mazda and Putnam Subaru; SAMCEDA; San Mateo Credit Union; Schulte, William; Sims Metal Management; Summerhill Housing Group; Sustainable Stanford
- Campaign for Fossil Free Buildings in Silicon Valley
- County Supervisor Dave Pine
- County Office of Education’s Environmental Literacy and Sustainability Initiative
- Genentech Child Care Center
- Honorable Mention: Hillsdale Shopping Center North Block
- Innovation Category: Brisbane
- Regional Impact Category: Menlo Park
- Fast Track Category: Pacifica
- Trailblazer Category: San Mateo
- Leadership Category: County of San Mateo
We have been celebrating our local sustainability champions for more than 20 years. Our Awards recognize leaders in the following categories:
- Ruth Peterson Award: Sustainable San Mateo County’s highest honor, awarded at the discretion of the Board of Directors to an individual who has contributed significantly to our mission. No application.
- Sustainability Awards: The work of Sustainability Award winners must address each of the three E’s of sustainability – Environmental Impacts, Social Equity and Economic Vitality. Their work must have a local impact in San Mateo County. Available categories are:
- educational institutions
- Green Building Award: This award is given to a project that promotes green, sustainable design and construction. It also supports environmentally friendly design in architecture and recognizes the architects, builders and owners of these green buildings in San Mateo County. 2020 will mark our 18th Annual Green Building Award. It is co-sponsored with the American Institute of Architects (AIA) of San Mateo County.
- In addition, new in 2020 is our “Reach Code” Award category, recognizing SM County municipalities that have taken action on enacting progressive green building policies. All municipalities are automatically considered for this Award category, no separate application necessary.
Read our Press Release about this year’s (2020) winners!
About the Sustainable San Mateo County Awards
The Sustainable San Mateo County Awards Dinner is an inspiring evening that pays tribute to those working to make our region truly sustainable. Attendees are treated to a networking hour, sustainable dinner and wine, entertaining raffles and auctions, and presentations highlighting the achievements of the award recipients. Proceeds from the evening support Sustainable San Mateo County’s general operating funds and programs.
Award recipients in each category receive the following:
- An award presentation at the Awards Dinner highlighting their achievements
- A professionally produced video highlighting their achievements
- Community recognition
- Opportunities for year-round partnering with SSMC
- Two complimentary tickets to the Awards Dinner (value $270)
Since 1999, Sustainable San Mateo County’s annual Sustainability Awards program has heightened community awareness about sustainability.The awards recognize San Mateo County businesses, community groups and individuals that have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to bringing sustainable practices that impact San Mateo County. In addition, SSMC and the San Mateo County Chapter of the American Institute of Architects present a Green Building Award, to inspire and support sustainable design in architecture and to recognize the designers, builders and owners of green buildings in San Mateo County.
To date, more than 100 Sustainability and Green Building Awards have been given to recipients chosen from among hundreds of worthy nominees. Each year, around 300 community leaders, volunteers, interested citizens and local media representatives attend the Awards Dinner.
Want to volunteer to help plan this year’s Awards Dinner? Send an email to email@example.com with “Awards Committee” in the subject line.
Previous Award Winners
See all previous award winners here.
Updated 3/13/2020 Sign up for our email list to receive the latest news.