(Independent Contractor Position: 20 hrs/week)
Established in 1992, Sustainable San Mateo County (SSMC) is a nonprofit dedicated to the long-term health of our county’s economy, environment and social equity by educating about sustainability and empowering people to take action to implement sustainability measures, practices and projects. More information about SSMC can be found at www.sustainablesanmateo.org.
The Administrative Assistant will work closely with and under the supervision of the Executive Director. He/she is responsible for maintaining an organized and efficient office for SSMC and performing the day-to-day clerical and administrative duties. This is an independent contractor position. It is a great opportunity for someone looking to advance their career in the sustainability field with a professional, well respected, small nonprofit.
1) Event Planning:
- Support for the Awards Dinner and Auction, the Indicators Report Launch and other public events
- Manage and maintain attendee invitations, lists and coordinate mailings
- Manage contracts and relationships with key suppliers and vendors, including external caterers and events teams
- Maintain the SSMC website
- Help manage social media interactions on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Send email newsletters using Constant Contact
- Help manage volunteers and interns
3) Finance and Compliance:
- Ensure sound maintenance and record keeping of essential financial, legal and personnel records
- Ensure sufficient documentation and reporting to required funding and compliance organizations
- Ensure compliance with bylaws and all federal and state regulations
- Maintain the SSMC database
- Write, edit and mail letters to SSMC sponsors and community
- Take minutes at Board meetings and Committee meetings
- Respond to various email and phone inquiries from public
- Maintain filing systems, both physical and electronic (G Suite)
- Other duties as assigned
- Passion for sustainability and commitment to Sustainable San Mateo County’s goals
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of office experience; high school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor degree preferred
- Self-motivated, responsible and able to work independently
- Excellent communication skills; media relations experience a plus
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, ability to multitask and prioritize in order to meet deadlines
- Web/computer savvy is essential; experience with MS Office (including Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Google Suite), online content management, social media, database management and QuickBooks required; experience with WordPress and Constant Contact desirable
- Friendly and cooperative work style
- Tax preparation, CPA, event planning and auction experience
- Experience supporting executive level positions
- Customer service experience and/or community-based nonprofit experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License
- Must have a reliable vehicle, clean driving record and proof of insurance
- Must be willing to occasionally drive to help staff booth/exhibit at events within SM County
Hourly rate: $20 to $25, depending on experience. Schedule: 20 hours per week, mostly during business hours, a few hours during evenings and, rarely, weekends. Flexible, but consistent.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter indicating your experience and qualifications to: email@example.com with “Administrative Assistant Application” in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter your availability to start. We are looking to hire someone as soon as possible.
Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Interested in joining as a volunteer?
Please see the volunteer page to get involved and/or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with “I want to help” in the subject line. SSMC staff will then get back to you to figure out how to best involve you in a way that works with your schedule, availability and passion – and will allow you to shine by utilizing your special talents, skills and gifts.
NOTE: You can get involved in many ways: on-going versus project-based and/or for a given time frame. We welcome any type of help, no matter how big or small – it all adds up! SSMC is driven by its volunteers and we count on you to help us fulfill our vision: a green, fair and prosperous San Mateo County for all for now and in the future! Thank you for considering to volunteer for our organization.