Nominations for SSMC’s 2023 Awards Are Closed!
2023 SUSTAINABILITY AWARDS Click here for Nomination Form
2023 GREEN BUILDING AWARD Click here for Nomination Form
We thank you for your interest. Nominations for both awards must be submitted by November 18.
Peninsula Clean Energy is also accepting nominations for its 2023 All-Electric Leader Awards. Click here
Eligibility and Criteria for Awards
Sustainable San Mateo County’s annual awards are highly coveted by those committed to advancing sustainability. They recognize an extraordinary commitment to the long-term health of our planet, for ourselves and future generations. Nominations are now open!
We welcome nominations, including self-nominations, for our Sustainability Awards as well as the Green Building Award, which is awarded jointly by SSMC and the American Institute of Architects, San Mateo County Chapter (AIASMC). The Ruth Peterson Award is presented at the discretion of SSMC’s Board of Directors. Read on to learn more about the eligibility and criteria for each award.
Each Green Corner was one of three 2022 Sustainability Award winners.
Click here for Nomination Form
The work of Sustainability Award winners must address each of the three E’s of sustainability: Environmental impacts, social Equity and Economic vitality. Available categories are:
- Government agency
- Education institution
- The nominee’s work MUST have a local impact within San Mateo County. A nominee who lives or is based outside the county, and whose work has an impact inside the county, IS eligible for an award.
- A nominee who lives or is based inside the county, and whose work has an impact ONLY outside the county, is NOT eligible for an award, unless the nominee’s work has a positive national or global implication.
- If the nominee has received a Sustainability Award in the past, the Awards Committee will determine if enough significant improvement has been made to be eligible for a new award.
Each nomination is evaluated on how well the nominee’s actions reflect these basic sustainability criteria:
- Mission linked to sustainability advancement and forward-looking vision
- Key accomplishments that address the three “E’s” of sustainability: a healthy environment, social equity and a green economy in San Mateo County
- Metrics that demonstrate sustainability progress
- Regional as well as local in scope
- Concerned with creating diverse and balanced communities
- Inclusive of social equity and well-being
- Supportive of public involvement in community decisions
- If the nominee has a physical location, reduced environmental footprint (such as recycling and waste reduction, green building facilities, energy efficiency, water conservation and public transit/alternative transportation options and incentives)
- Pays a living wage and benefits to all employees
- Diverse workforce
- Partnerships and involvement of stakeholders in decision-making
- Healthy funding that assures continued operation
- Recent awards or recognition
Green Building Award
The 2022 Green Building Award was presented to the Marshall Medical Offices on Kaiser Permanente’s Redwood City campus.
Click here for nomination form
Sustainable San Mateo County (SSMC) and the American Institute of Architects San Mateo County Chapter (AIASMC) have jointly presented the Green Building Award every year since 2003 to projects that promote green, sustainable design and construction. The award also recognizes the architects, builders and owners of these green buildings.
The Green Building Award is open to any building constructed within the last five years that is located in San Mateo County. Remodels and additions are also eligible to apply for the award. Previous nominees may apply if their original projects have had additional substantial green improvements.
Materials may be sent by email to: email@example.com with “Green Building 2023 Application” in the subject line OR you can send a USB drive with images to Sustainable San Mateo County, ATTN: Green Building Award, 3182 Campus Drive #153, San Mateo, CA 94403. You can also make arrangements with us to drop off the materials in person by calling the office: 650-918-1992.
- Site plan with north arrow. Remodel projects must submit “before” and “after” photographs.
- Floor plans
- CD or USB drive with images (including notable features, as appropriate). NOTE: Submitted documentation will not be returned. By submitting the application, you are authorizing full rights to use the materials for any Sustainable San Mateo County promotional materials.
- On a separate piece of paper, address how this project has incorporated the environmental performance criteria listed on the following page.
- Energy bill (before and after, if remodel)
- Water bill (before and after, if remodel)
- Green building rating system results (LEED, CHIPS, Build it Green, etc.)
- Construction and demolition diversion rate
- Energy performance ratings
- Percent on-site renewable energy generation
- Amount of salvaged, recycled or sustainably harvested material used